Anytime Anywhere Learning
More information »

« BACK TO FORUM

Thread Pages 1, 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

1-to-1 Pedagogy Statements - Got Laptops Course 1
October 21, 2010 @ 04:26 PM

Please post your 1-to-1 Pedagogy Statements here.

This post was edited on: 2011-10-10 at 07:23 PM by: Susan Einhorn (Moderator)

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile PROFILE Email User EMAIL USER
smenegh

Re: 1-to-1 Pedagogy Statements - Got Laptops October, 2010
October 21, 2010 @ 05:39 PM

I believe that every single student deserves to understand and see connections with the real world.

In that sense, information and collaboration technologies will be used as tools to engage students in mental challenges that can change preconceptions and transform new information into applicable knowledge.

Students will interact with others, being peers, teachers, experts, and community, in such a way that allows new information to be manipulated, digested, refined and transformed into something meaningful for that student. Students will also interact with technologies that will encourage manipulation of concepts, like simulations or models. Students will seek information to solve real world problems or contribute to the community. In this process, students will communicate their knowledge to different audiences, to keep challenging ideas and in this way grow.

This post was edited on: 2010-10-21 at 05:43 PM by: smenegh

Member Profile PROFILE Email Member EMAIL MEMBER
bafincher

Fincher
October 21, 2010 @ 05:44 PM

Inquiry, risk, action, change, and reflection are important learning attributes within a 1:1 classroom. Learning is inherently a social activity, rooted in the iterative communication of knowledge within the context of communally established norms of behavior. As forms of communication transform, so must the classroom, in applying ethical, effective personal habits of mind to the new learning opportunities. Deep-seated changes happen when students are allowed purposeful opportunities in which to grow towards their becoming responsible, aware agents of their own learning. Students work collectively but understand that, as individuals, they are also individually accountable. As a judicious mentor and fellow learner, my job is to set up both the physical and social environment in which the diversified needs of the students, often generated within the context of open-ended, integrated, projects-based units, is addressed by a number of technologies that are best suited for the purpose but also to be sure to leave space for the incidental learning and sidelines that erupt. Spontaneity, fun, and laughter are woven through all of this in a way that only “hard fun” can bring. Our students don’t see technology as auxiliary to their lives—but as an integrated, common and expected part of their mindscapes. To think and act otherwise would be an unfortunate act of hubris on the part of any teacher who thinks otherwise.

This post was edited on: 2010-10-21 at 05:47 PM by: bafincher

This post was edited on: 2010-10-21 at 05:48 PM by: bafincher

This post was edited on: 2010-10-21 at 05:51 PM by: bafincher

aaron

October 21, 2010 @ 06:26 PM

I believe that students must be engaged in meaningful, authentic work that creates a real need to know. I feel that students must engage in project-based problem solving to develop collaborative skills and to hone critical thinking. I believe that there must be an element of choice and self-direction so that students feel empowered and self-actualized.

What this belief means for my practice is that I will seek out opportunities in the virtual world using the internet and online data bases to provide real world, hands-on applications of concepts being addressed. This means I am transparent and clear with science-based learning targets so students don't lose track of the goals of their learning. This will require that I teach to the standards of my discipline and also offer support and guidance in the field of technology.

What this belief means for students is that they will need to develop a breadth of skills and a level of comfort using technology to access these opportunities for authentic learning while also mastering the skills associated with the discipline. This means they persevere in problem solving, that they build organizational skills and develop self-management skills so they can track and apply their learning.

Carmelle

October 21, 2010 @ 06:34 PM

“Technology is transforming society, and schools do not have a choice as to whether they will incorporate technology but rather how well they use it to enhance learning” (North Central Regional Edcucational Laboratory & Illinois State Board of Education, 1995)

I believe that with the technological changes taking place within our society, integrating technology into the school and particularly within our classrooms with the 1-1 laptop program, will equip our students with the necessary skills that will prepare them to succeed in a “rapidly changing world” ( www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issues/methods/technlgy/te300.htm)
Within my subject areas I will provide meaningful , creative and collaborative learning experiences that will encourage the students to use their laptops to interact and interrelate with their teacher and fellow students. Cohesiveness and harmony will be fostered as new learning procedures and management of this technological are introduced. I will continue to participate in a variety of personal development programs in the area of technological to enhance my teaching skills and to provide my students with the latest and productive programs that will further enrich their learning.
The students will be encouraged to develop their higher order thinking skills, by participating in a variety of creative and engaging workshops and assessment tasks that will support their various learning needs. They will be taught appropriate etiquette and the many benefits of using technology while being encouraged to develop their own personal social skills.

b.peterson

October 21, 2010 @ 06:42 PM

In a 1 to 1 environment where the technological tools are in the hands of the students and teachers so the learning environment mirrors the world. I think that students should have the same type of technology that scientists, mathematicians, social scientists, artists, etc. use to do their work. High school students are certainly capable of using technology in amazing and meaningful ways for learning. This type of access to technology expands resources exponentially and offers students a multitude of communication and collaboration tools. Drastic changes will occur in curriculum, assessment and instructional strategies which will make the classroom more student-centered and tailored to the individual. Students and teachers in a 1 to 1 environment will not be bound by time or place for learning to occur. Learning will occur asynchronously through teacher directed or student directed online platforms and/or virtual worlds.

Technology provides students with greater access to people in different areas of the world and students will work and learn together virtually. This type of collaboration is essential for our future leaders. Students of privilege will be able to better understand the issues facing the less fortunate in developing nations and new doors will open for those less fortunate. Our future leaders will need this exposure so that they are able to develop new solutions for solving complex global problems. It is already possible for multi-national teams of students to work collaboratively to solve problems, such as the one identified by Jean-François Rischard in “High Noon: Twenty Global Problems, Twenty Years to Solve Them”. While this is possible now, schools of the future will embrace and promote a global experience for all students.

rcjensenjr

October 21, 2010 @ 06:48 PM

I believe that high school physics education must impart critical thinking skills by engaging students in a both the practical and theoretical aspects of physics.

I will engage my students with hands-on activities that involve common, everyday materials as well as computer-interfaced data collecting instruments. I will imbibe in my students problem-solving skills wherein they are able to analyze and solve problems using paper-and-pen, databases, and appropriate algorthms.

My students will initiate and perform lab investigations methodically and safely; they will generate conclusions from data they collect; and clearly and concisely report on their findings. They will be able to solve problems with ease and use a graphing calculator and a computer to aid in problem-solving. They will discuss and critique each others' work in a safe and supportive environment, with the aim of helping and learning from each other.

drisilveira

October 21, 2010 @ 06:56 PM

I think that the use of computers in classroom is inevitable, since technology is now part of our lives. My concerns as a Portuguese teacher - who values the contact with the book and thinks that writing needs paper and pencil sometimes - still exist, but I see computers as important means that help us to maximize the possibilities of learning and interacting.
1-1 is not part of my classroom routine yet, but I think that I would begin using laptops for a specific goal – a small project toward a significant theme envolving research, reading and writing, for example. This project could have an electronic magazine as a final product and it would be wonderful if I had other teachers working with me in an interdisciplinary perspective.
This way my students would be able to practice and improve their skills by using the technology since the beggining till the end of the process. Interative communication, collaboration, connections with the real world and with each student´s worlds and other learning attributes certainly would enriches the learning environment.

jimurquhart

October 21, 2010 @ 07:29 PM

1 to 1 Pedagogy Statement - JU

I believe that learning is enriched when people are exposed to and engaged in learning that is relevant to an ever-changing world that includes advances in our social and environmental world.

I will provide stimuli and opportunities for students to discover authentic applications where 21st century skills can improve how we discover and apply new ways of learning. This will inevitably involve me modifying my instructional practice to align with new understandings related to cultural diversity, and physical and social capabilities.

My students and all students will love learning and have a palpable, feverish thirst for learning more about themselves, others and the world around them in a responsible and caring way.

gilafregonesi

October 21, 2010 @ 09:10 PM

I believe that information technology is a fact in contemporary global society and that it affects the way human beings construct individual and collective knowledge.
I believe that this fact has changed the educational system and the classroom environment as well as the relationships in the teaching/learning processes.
The most urgent teacher's role is to lead students to develop the skills to find desired information, select what is relevant, and use it to build their own individual knowledge; then help students to learn how to share knowledge with others and put it in service of the society their are a part.
More than ever, it is the teacher's role to guide students in developing their critical thinking skills, to make responsible choices with all that is offered to them through the information technologies. Ethical behavior belongs in the teacher's identity, to practice and model.The individual life project that emerges from the learner's intellectual construction ideally should match meanings with the collective life project of the community he/she belongs in.(The systemic idea of the tree and the forest)

marionmack

October 22, 2010 @ 02:38 AM

I believe all students are learners and learn best in a safe, supportive, stimulating and challenging environment that is well organised where they have a positive relationship with their teachers and peers and have opportunities to engage in learning that addresses their learning needs and that continuously leads to improved learning outcomes.
I will provide a teaching and learning programme that is resourced so that every student has access to learning that meets their needs by catering to a range of learning styles and abilities and that challenges every student to extend their learning into higher order thinking with the use of 21st century technologies and that foster life long learning.
All students will have opportunities to learn new technological tools inside and outside the classroom that further develops their learning. They will have opportunity to access learning 24/7, to work independently and collaboratively, to share and negotiate their learning.
My students will take responsibility for their learning by actively participating in their learning,adding their voice to discussions and decisions about their learning whilst respecting others and their right to learn as well as respecting the materials and resources available.

gilafregonesi

October 22, 2010 @ 12:53 PM

gilafregonesi wrote:

I believe that information technology is a fact in contemporary global society and that it affects the way human beings construct individual and collective knowledge. I believe that this fact has changed the educational system and the classroom environment as well as the relationships in the teaching/learning processes. The most urgent teacher's role is to lead students to develop the skills to find desired information, select what is relevant, and use it to build their own individual knowledge; then help students to learn how to share knowledge with others and put it in service of the society their are a part. More than ever, it is the teacher's role to guide students in developing their critical thinking skills, to make responsible choices with all that is offered to them through the information technologies. Ethical behavior belongs in the teacher's identity, to practice and model.The individual life project that emerges from the learner's intellectual construction ideally should match meanings with the collective life project of the community he/she belongs in.(The systemic idea of the tree and the forest)

cherie.pickering

October 23, 2010 @ 11:48 PM

I believe that each child is unique in the way he or she grows, develops and learns, and that effective teaching only occurs when each child’s uniqueness is acknowledged and the learning program addresses this uniqueness. I believe that learning technologies provide the means for each child’s uniqueness to become the building blocks for their participation in a technologically rich world.

At all times, my focus is on working to achieve the goal of improving learning outcomes for all members of the learning community. With this in mind, I provide students explicit learning opportunities to enable them to develop and practise the basic skills required to be successful in the areas of literacy, numeracy, ICT and 21st Century skills. I encourage and support teachers to take on new challenges such as using a piece of technology or software, trying a new approach to planning learning activities or involving students in designing and assessing their learning.

All members of the learning community are able to connect their learning to their lives and their interests once empowered with the confidence and basic skills required. This is the point at which learners are able to take responsibility for, and manage, their own life-long learning.

Jodie

October 26, 2010 @ 07:44 PM

1:1 Laptop Pedagogy Statement

As a professional teacher I believe it is my responsibility to teach students in my care how to use technology as a tool for learning. It is up to me as a teacher to learn as much as I can about how to use technology in the classroom to enable the best learning environment possible for the students. I believe that it is my responsibility to work within the expectations of the school. I feel that I need to make sure that I am incorporating the BAC way in teaching technology so that students clearly understand behavioural expectations within the online learning environment. I also feel that it is important to make sure students use both the on-line world and physical world around them to create balanced understanding within their learning.
I as a teacher will:
1. Learn as much as I can about incorporating technology in the classroom.
2. Be well prepared before lessons so that I as a teacher have clear direction and purpose for my lessons.
3. Be intentional about incorporating school ethos into my 1:1 teaching.
4. Keep up with different online tools so that students learning can be challenged and varied within the online learning world.
I will encourage students to:
1. Use their computers as a tool for learning.
2. Be wise about the way they research information online.
3. Use planning tools such as Moodle and One Note to plan their work and organise things they have learned.
4. Treat technology as an extension of the real world, using it for research, planning and processing ideas.
5. Treat their technology with care, being aware of the time, effort and money that has gone into having the resources they have for learning.

This post was edited on: 2010-10-26 at 07:56 PM by: Jodie

rose72

Re: 1-to-1 Pedagogy Statements - Got Laptops Course 1
October 20, 2011 @ 07:05 PM

I believe that children should harness technology in their learning.
I will provide a condusive environment in order for them to harness technology.

« BACK TO FORUM